Welcome to the Pet Professional Guild’s
Junior Membership & Accreditation Program
The Pet Professional Guild (PPG) is a membership organization representing pet industry professionals who are committed to results-based, science-based, force-free training and pet care. Our professional membership represents veterinarians, veterinarian technicians, behavior consultants, trainers, dog walkers, pet sitters and groomers. PPG represents training and behavior professionals across many species.
We are very aware that the next generation of pet professionals is at a point in their lives where we can help them to understand and implement those methods and ethics that will see the continuation of the force-free movement.
To this end we are opening membership to children (8-12 years), teenagers (13-17 years) and young adults (18-20 years) as a way of helping them to learn and understand about pet care and give them an insight into the possibility of working with animals, in a force-free, fear-free way in the future.
Through the Pet Professional Accreditation Board (PPAB), a credentialing organization that credentials force-free pet professionals, we are also offering the opportunity for our junior members to gain preliminary credentials in force-free animal care.
The PPAB program is independent of any industry trade school, college or credentialing body. Applicants are not required to be members of the Pet Professional Guild, but they must meet and maintain all the eligibility criteria.
Three Membership Options
The Pet Professional Guild’s (PPG) junior memberships are divided into three categories.
- Category One: Provisional Junior Basic (age group 8-12 years)
- Category Two: Provisional Junior Advanced (age group 13-17 years)
- Category Three: Provisional Apprentice (age group 18-20 years)
At each level of membership, the junior members will be required to sign the Junior Membership pledge that appears below.
- The animal’s welfare is a priority in any task I choose to undertake.
- I must make decisions on behalf of the animal, based on the animal’s species, age, physical and emotional capacity.
- I will protect the physical, emotional and environmental well-being of the animal.
- I must only use tools and equipment in a manner that reflects the no pain, no force, no fear mantra of the PPG.
- Tools will not be used in a way that is contrary to their design and intent, i.e. not used in a manner which would cause psychological or physical pain, harm or damage.
- I must always work within my personal capabilities and the guidelines set out by the PPG.
- I must communicate with other people in a respectful manner, even if I don’t agree with them.
- If I don’t know the answer, then I will ask someone else who has more expertise in the relevant area.
- I will always seek to do no harm I will always strive to do good I will be faithful to promises made